Cooking Safety is Important
Be Safe in the Kitchen
One of the most frequent causes of household fire and smoke damage is cooking. Because of this, it is important to practice safe cooking behaviors whenever you are in the kitchen no matter how large or for what purpose the meal you are preparing.
- Protect Children from Scalds and Burns. Young children are at high risk of being burned by hot food and liquids. Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a "kid-free zone" of 3 feet around the stove.
- Watch What You’re Cooking. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or cooking food on the stop top or broiling food.
- Choose the Right Equipment and Use It Properly. Follow manufacturers' instructions when using cooking equipment. Remember to plug microwave ovens and other cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance, as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire. Cook only with equipment designed and intended for cooking, and heat your home only with equipment designed and intended for heating.
- Avoid Using Deep Fat Turkey Fryers. The use of a deep fat turkey fryer can be very dangerous. If you do decide to use one, use it at a safe distance from buildings and other items that can catch fire. Never use a turkey fryer in a garage or on a wooden deck. Watch the fryer carefully, as the oil will continue to heat until it catches fire. To avoid oil spillover, don’t overfill the fryer. Oil-less turkey fryers are available. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s website.
- Keep Things That Can Catch Fire and Heat Sources Apart. Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains - away from your stovetop. Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean. Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
- Prevent Scalds and Burns. To prevent spills due to overturned appliances containing hot food or liquids, use the back burner when possible, and/or turn pot handles away from the stove's edge. Use oven mitts or potholders when moving hot food from ovens, microwave ovens, or stovetops.
Make sure to follow to follow these helpful tips, Whenever there is a problem with smoke damage in your home please give us a call at SERVPRO of Meridian 601-693-7300.
What Happens Next
When Water Rises
Storms can cause severe damage to your home—potentially even making them unsafe!
What You Should Do After a Flood
Even if you were properly prepared for the flood and weathered the storm until it passed, your home could still have sustained heavy damage. Now that the sky is blue once more, how do you proceed? Here’s a look at what to do after a flood:
Just because the sun is shining, and the flood waters have receded, that doesn’t mean all danger has passed. Exercise caution by doing the following:
- Tune into local alerts and warning systems to stay up-to-date with current information and receive expert, informed advice about the flood. After all, additional flooding could still occur.
- Stay away from rushing water. Moving water only 6 inches deep can sweep you off your feet.
- Avoid walking through large areas of standing water, which may be electrically charged by downed power lines. The water could also be hiding broken glass or dangerous animals.
- Unless you are specifically asked for help by the police, fire department, or relief workers, keep out of damaged areas.
- Help emergency workers by staying off the roads in and out of the damaged neighborhood or region.
- If you’re caught in a stalled car during a flash flood, abandon the car and get to higher ground immediately.
- Heed barricades and find an alternate route if you encounter one blocking your way. Crossing bridges even after the water has receded could be dangerous if the structural integrity has been jeopardized.
- Return home only when the authorities permit it. Even then, stay out of the building if it’s surrounded by flood waters and exercise extreme caution when you do enter.
Stay Safe and Healthy
Take care of you and your family as cleanup efforts begin. To stay safe and healthy, remember the following:
- Turn off the home’s electricity at the main breaker box, even if the power is out. Only turn the power on when your home is dry.
- Avoid floodwater, which may be contaminated with sewage, gasoline, or oil.
- Fix damaged sewer systems as soon as possible.
- Don’t drink water from the tap. Listen to news reports to learn when the community’s water is safe to drink again.
Clean and Repair Your Home
- Use the information in the Repairing Your Flooded Home PDF from the Red Cross to learn how to enter your home safely, protect your belongings from future damage, record damage for insurance claims, check for gas leaks, and begin the cleanup process.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your claim.
- Hire a professional water damage mitigation company as soon as possible. It’s important that the company is qualified for the services you need. SERPVRO of Meridian is available 24/7 to help when you need it most. Not only are we a local command center, but we also have the resources of 1,600 franchises nationwide—meaning no disaster is too big.
Get Help After a Flood
SERVPRO of Meridian is prepared and ready to help you when you and your family need it the most. We’re here to help you get back on your feet and make it look like it never happened. Call us @ 601-693-7300.
Qualified Restoration & Cleaning Professionals
SERVPRO of Meridian is a trusted leader in the restoration industry and has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle your restoration and cleaning needs. As a locally owned and operated business, we can provide 24-hour emergency service and are dedicated to responding immediately to commercial or residential needs.
If you have any questions or unsure if you need our services, Please Call today! 601-693-7300
Mold Could Be In Your Home
Waiting to do something about a suspected mold problem in your home could lead to bigger problems. Don't wait around if you are concerned.
Many types of mold can produce allergens and irritants. Treat any mold with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mold.
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent
SERVPRO of Meridian specializes in Mold Remediation. Call us today with all your questions & concerns 601-693-7300.
Mold Safety Tips To Follow
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Meridian for mold remediation services @ 601-693-7300
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Meridian specializes in mold cleanup and restoration. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly eliminate your mold problem quickly and safely.
Storms Are Innevitable
If your business suffers a serious damage after a storm contact SERVPRO of Meridian and we are able to provide emergency services to reduce business interruption allowing you to focus on day to day operations. Our teams are available always to inspect and service your property reducing interruptions.
When your business is damaged by severe storms contact us immediately SERVPRO of Meridian @ 601-693-7300.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
FASTER TO ANY SIZE DISASTER!
Reliable Commercial Water Damage Restoration Company
Whether office, warehouse, restaurant, school, or other commercial building, the urgency to get back to business after a water damage is stressful. The fastest way to servicing your customers and assuring your employees of their job security is to hire a reliable commercial water damage restoration company. SERVPRO of Meridian understands the first critical steps to water damage restoration is responding quickly. The longer your business is exposed to excess moisture, the more extensive the water damage will be. Water degrades furniture, weakens structures, and can permanently damage electrical items such as computers and printers. Calling on a water damage restoration company with a fast response time such as SERVPRO of Meridian will give you the best chances of saving the things you need to service your customers. Our technicians will arrive to your business quickly, ready to assess the damage with meters detecting moisture levels. If necessary, standing water will be removed using powerful pumps mounted on SERVPRO of Meridian's familiar bright green vans. Water can cause warping of wood and cause carpeting to deteriorate. The possibility of floors being salvaged is increased when water is extracted in less than 24 hours from primary exposure, and then through quick and efficient drying.
When you need a reliable commercial water damage restoration company, call on SERVPRO of Meridian. Faster to any size disaster, we here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Are You Ready?
Our Marketing Manager working on ERPS. Call him today to get yours!
No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, “Are you ready for whatever could happen?” Like most commercial properties, your facility probably has an emergency exit plan in place, with illuminated signs leading to safety, and even facility maps strategically placed to identify alternate routes out of the building. But have you developed a thorough Contingency Plan emphasizing the first 24-48 hours to help you get back in your building as quickly as possible? Your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional can provide you with exactly that, assistance you in developing an Emergency Response Profile. As part of a well-thought-out contingency plan, your Emergency Response Profile will contain information you need in the event an emergency situation occurs. An added advantage to utilizing your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional in the development of your Emergency Response Profile is the opportunity to coordinate a preferred provider relationship including pre-arranged pricing and procedures for handling emergency response for your facility before damage occurs. Contact SERVPRO of Meridian today to set up an ERP consultation! Call our office at 601-693-7300 we would be more then happy to assist you in providing a safe emergency ready work space.
Disasters Happen. Prepare Now. Learn How.
Disasters don’t plan ahead. You can. September is National Preparedness Month.
National Preparedness Month(NPM), recognized each September, is designed to raise awareness and encourage everyone to prepare themselves for emergencies that could impact their homes, jobs, schools, and communities. Tropical Storm Gordon is expected to make landfall along the Gulf Coast tonight as a strong tropical storm or low end hurricane. For our area that means, flash flooding is possible, along with strong winds that could possibly down trees, and maybe even isolated tornadoes. Although Gordon isn't expected to be a major threat to our area, it's a good time be sure your business is "Ready for whatever happens." Did you know SERVPRO of Meridian offers a FREE emergency ready profile that anyone can set up using a smartphone or tablet? SERVPRO has ensured making your emergency ready plan is available at the touch of your fingertips through our FREE app available in your app store. The SERVPRO ERP can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility.
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile:
The no-cost assessment ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations, and priority locations.
The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download the SERVPRO free Ready Plan APP to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
Establishes SERVPRO of Meridian as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. Knowing who to call in advance is key to a quick response and timely mitigation, helping to minimize the amount of time your business is inactive.
Preparation is the key to making it through any disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. No one plans on a disaster, but now you can have a plan in place when it happens.
Not sure where to begin? Call our office today!
Knowing our services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days each year is a great way for your home or business to stay prepared. Add our number to your plan: 601-693-7300 and make sure you download our ready app to create your emergency ready profile today! Like Us on Facebook, or Follow us on Twitter, or Instagram and follow the tips, tricks and advice we share with our community.
What Do You Know About Biohazards?
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants,employees,customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Meridian professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove bio hazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and State and Local health regulations. Along with these requirements comes compassion to get through these tough situations that impact our customers. Each and every trained technician shows compassion toward our customers.
SERVPRO of Meridian Professionals can help with the following issues:
Blood borne Pathogens
Crime Scene Residue
Black Water Intrusions
Please contact us at SERVPRO of Meridian for any questions concerning Biohazard Cleanups (601)693-7300.